Friday, September 19, 2014

Beyond the Surface

Much like we all are, I'm a creature of habit. Good habits. Bad habits. And all the habits in between. As such, I tend to go to the same stores and see the same employees. Most of the time, I don't care to know their story; I just want my stuff so I can go on with my day.

In our society, most of us live this way. We operate as robots on a mission, always hurrying to get nowhere special. We either don't care about the true substance of others, or we are too afraid to ask out of fear of being seen as the oddball who asks way too many personal questions.

For the most part, we hate going beyond surface talk with people that we aren't really close to already. We don't want to expose ourselves to others and become vulnerable. I can also guarantee that each of you, like me, have many people in your life that you might see and hang out with on a regular basis but that you know absolutely nothing about beyond their name, favorite alcoholic drink, favorite song to dance to, and what they like to order at Chili's.

We know nothing about who people truly are in terms of their values, beliefs, or dreams. We truly live in a world of disconnected connectedness. Thank you, Facebook. We are not only terrified to intensely question the world we live or ourselves, but also those around us. We aren't only afraid to think, but we are also afraid to feel. True, it's easier to not know things most of the time, but it's also less rewarding.

So, since I'm hoping that we will all be spending a lot of time together through this blog in the future, for this post, we are going to go beyond the surface and get to know each other a little better as real people. I will answer the 35 questions below about myself, and then, I hope that you will answer each of them about you.

Here we go:

1. Given the choice of anyone in the world (dead or alive), whom would you want to have dinner or coffee with? What three questions would you ask them?

Martin Luther King, Jr. (1) When you majored in sociology in college, did you have a plan as to what you were going to do with your life? (2) Was it hard to stay non-violent when you and your entire race faced violence at every turn? (3) If you wouldn't have been assassinated, what additional work would you have done for civil rights?

 2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?

Not famous. But remembered positively. 

3. Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you're going to say? Why?

Never really considered it "rehearsing", but if it's an important, professional call, I have caught myself thinking about what I was going to say before making the call, so I don't forget anything. 

4. What would constitute a perfect day for you?

Wake up next to my love. Coffee. Breakfast & news. Go downtown and park. Walk and ride the tram all over. See the city. Go to museums and bookstores. Have lunch at a coffee shop. Write. Go home and have a movie night. Sleep next to my love.

5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?

Sing to myself on the daily. Sang with my nephew today. He doesn't judge me...lol

6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you choose?

I would choose to retain the body of a 30-year old...because my mind would strengthen with age but my body would weaken with age. With the strongest, wisest mind possible, and a strong body, I could do more for the world for those 60 years.

7. If you could find out for absolute certain when and how you will die, would you want to know?

Absolutely not. 

8. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?

Everything...I have a roof over my head, food to eat, an amazing woman that loves me, and a great family. 

9. If you were told you only had 24 hours to live, what would you do in that time?

Go to the ocean at sunset with my love and write as much as I possibly could. 

10. What's your astrological sign? Is it accurate?

Taurus. Accurate for the most part, except the part about being materialistic. I'm not at all. 

11. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?

Time travel. 

12. Is there something that you've dreamt of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it?

Opening a coffee shop/bookstore. One day, I will, and I will run it full-time when I retire. Just haven't had the financial ability or time to yet. 

13. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?

Becoming the person that I am today. 

14. What do you value most in life?

My mind. 

15. What is your most treasured memory?

My grandfather sitting me on his lap the Xmas a month before he died to give me my present (a watch) and telling me that he was proud of me and to never forget that I could and would do anything in life that I wanted to do. 

16. What is your most terrible memory?

The day my brother committed suicide. 

17. What does friendship mean to you?

Family by choice. True friendship to me is more than acquaintances. It's establishing such a deep connection with a person through life experiences that they might as well be a blood relative. And no matter how long you go without seeing or talking to that person, you would always take a bullet for them because you love them as a person. 

18. How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people's?

My family is very close. We were raised that way, and I am very thankful for the happy childhood that I had with my siblings and cousins. It taught us the importance of family and that being poor doesn't mean that you can't be happy. 

19. How do you feel about your relationship with your partner?

She is truly the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I will love her completely for the rest of my life.

20. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life to date?

Hitting a tree while riding a bicycle and breaking my arm. 

21. When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?

In front of my love and by myself months ago. Haven't had a need to cry since then. 

22. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven't you told them yet?

I would like to think that I wouldn't have anything to regret because I hope that I have already let the people that I love know how much I love them and respect them. 

 23. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?

My laptop or flash drive to save all my work. 

24. If you could choose the sex and physical appearance of your soon-to-be-born child, would you do it?

No. I would want my child to know that it didn't matter to me what they were to look like before they were born, I knew that I would love them completely regardless.

25. Would you be willing to have horrible nightmares for a year if you would be rewarded with extraordinary wealth?

No. Wealth means very little to me. 

26. If you got your hands on $1 million, what would you do with it?

Buy a $125,000 house for me and my love. Spend $50,000 on two new cars for us both. Open a coffee shop/bookstore with $150,000. Set aside $250,000 for our retirement to build interest in CD's/IRA's/stocks/etc. Start college funds for my love's children and my nephew with $150,000. Start a foundation for mental health in my brother's honor with $50,000 and a grassroots organization for true political change by the people, for the people with another $50,000 . And with the remaining $175,000, I'd pass some of it on to my parents and sister, donate to various charities, and travel.

 27. What is your biggest fear?

Failure. 

28. What is your biggest regret in life?

Not being there more for my brother. 

29. When you were in high school, what did you want to be when you grew up? Is that what you do now?

I wanted to be a pediatric orthopedic all the way through high school. As a child, I used to wrap ace bandages around any limbs I could find...dolls and humans. Then, realized I wasn't going to make it through watching autopsies in medical school and fell in love with sociology. 

30. What kind of music do you listen to?

Mainly Indie. Second to that would be alternative rock. 

31. Favorite song, movie, and book?

Song - Dare To Believe by Boyce Avenue; Movie - tie between The Green Mile, 300, and V for Vendetta; Book - 1984 by George Orwell

 32. What is your comfort food?

Chicken and Dumplings...but not with the flat dumplings, the round ones please lol

33. If you opened a non-profit organization, what would it be?

A foundation for mental health & a grassroots organization for true political change by the people, for the people

 34. Are you religious or spiritual?

Yes, I'm religious. 

35. What political party do you identify with the most?

Independent. Used to be a Democrat, but I've realized that all political parties are completely flawed. 

Alright guys...you're turn. If you haven't already done so, you will need to follow my blog from this page and create an account. Talk to me :)

3 comments:

  1. Okay I finally can comment. So I need to do this. Perfect way for me to spend the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on hold for the moment. But I will work on it.

    ReplyDelete